New York Committee for the East Coast Greenway
The New York Committee for the ECG consists of volunteers who coordinate route selection and undertake our advocacy efforts to move the Greenway ahead in New York. By building support and partnerships with citizens, public agencies and organizations at the local and state levels, the New York Committee is helping to get the ECG on the ground, mile by mile.
Stay up-to-date on the latest NY events and news! Send an email to eastcoastgreenwayNY@gmail.com to be added to the New York e-news list.
Current Committee Goals
Support the Effort in New York
NEWS & EVENTS
The next ECG-NY Committee meeting will be held on Thursday September 19, 4-6PM at Arsenal West, 4th floor large conference room, 24 W. 61st St. Manhattan
Guided Bike Rides and Walks on the East Coast Greenway
Sun, Oct. 13: HUDSON LOOP RIDE, 6th annual, with New Jersey Committee for the ECG
To register http://ecgny2013.eventbrite.com
For info. on NY events, e-mail to: email@example.com.
Bike Share is in NYC: Citi Bikes
Aug. 21: Reception in NYC for Week-A-Year Tour cyclists, arriving from Stamford.
Location, Hosteling International - http://www.hiusa.org//nyc/ New York City, 891 Amsterdam St (@ 103rd St) Starting @ 5:30 pm.
New York Committee
The New York Committee consists of volunteers who dedicated their time and resources to advocate for the creation of local trails in New York. Please help the Committee by volunteering your time, becoming a member or sponsoring a mile of trail.
Recent accomplishments of the New York Committee include:
- Actively supported a UN-land-swap plan that will (among other things) fund construction along the East River of a greenway to close the gap between E. 38th and E. 60th Streets. Advocated for parking-protected bicycle lanes on First/Second Avenues, Manhattan, to provide safe cycling in the interim.
- Worked with NYC Department of Parks to blaze 9.5 miles of our route through parkland in the Bronx with our distinctive ECG route marker.
- Successfully advocated for the placement of sharrow type pavement markings along portions of the ECG route in the Bronx.
- With BWAWP, led the successful effort to pass “Merrill’s Law” requiring motorists in New York State to pass cyclists “at a safe distance.”
- Persuaded NY State DOT to do a feasibility study of a bike/pedestrian pathway in the Hutchinson River Parkway right-of-way that would link the planned Merritt Parkway Trail in CT with White Plains and the Bronx River Pathway.
- Supported work by White Plains to implement bicycle facilities.
- Persuaded the NYC Department of Transportation to mark the ECG route in NYC and NJ on its annually updated, free NYC Cycling Map. nyc.gov/bikes.
The New York Committee currently needs volunteers to:
- Write support letters to their public officials for various projects
- Represent the ECG at events
- Help maintain the NY committee website
Sponsor a Mile of the ECG in New York
Mile sponsors will have their inscriptions posted on our website and eventually posted in a kiosk along the route in New York. Learn more.
Become a member of the ECGA
Your membership dues support our advocacy work in New York!
ECGA Mid-Atlantic Trail Coordinator:
Andy Hamilton: firstname.lastname@example.org 267-236-3407
State Committee Co-Chair:
Jackson Wandres: email@example.com
(212) 741-8090 x103
State Committee Co-Chair:
Elizabeth Brody: firstname.lastname@example.org
Staten Island Coordinator:
Joe Linton, Greenway Director, Bronx River Alliance,
Duff Bailey, Executive Director, Bike Walk Alliance of Westchester & Putnam: email@example.com
<< To Connecticut To New Jersey >>
Click the map for a larger view